Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nesting

I always sort of thought that the so-called "nesting urge" that moms-to-be experience was mostly made up by women who were trying to explain away the sudden need to get some stuff done before the baby arrives. I mean, of course people are going to want to get stuff cleaned up so that there's not a ton to do when there's a small squalling person to look after. I'm not the tidiest of people, but I understand and accept that my house will be a nightmare for the first few months of baby living.

The nesting urge, though? So not a crock. Here's what I've done over just the past couple of weeks:

-23 loads of laundry, including every towel I can get my hands on and all of the newborn sized baby outfits
-reorganized my yarn and fiber stash for the 2nd time
-made a bulletin board and mail hanger for organizing all sorts of stuff
-baked and frozen several loaves of bread for thawing in the next month
-started actually cooking. I hate cooking. I love baking, but I hate cooking. All the sudden, I want to make food?
-rearranged the dining room furniture so as to hide the overly large dog crate
-put pictures up on the walls. We lived in this house for 2 years with no artwork. Suddenly, every room needs something on the wall
-barely resisting the urge to sand and repaint the kitchen cabinets. I'd be an idiot to start this now, but I DESPERATELY want to.

All of this is wildly out of my normal routine. I just keep thinking up new projects and have to talk myself out of starting them - after all, I've got 3 more weeks until he's due. I can't possibly finish EVERYTHING by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment